Whether it’s reaching new amputees with critical recovery information, fighting for fair insurance laws or providing daily tips to make living with limb loss easier, the work of the Amputee Coalition is impacting lives every day.
MISSION AND KEY TENETS:
To reach out to and empower people affected by limb loss to achieve their full potential through education, support and advocacy, and to promote limb loss prevention.
Our Key Tenets:
Limb Loss Is Not Uncommon, and Becoming Less Uncommon Every Day.
The Amputee Coalition works to raise awareness about and increase practices to prevent limb loss.
No Amputee Alone
The Amputee Coalition works to ensure that no amputee feels alone through pre- and post-amputation and recovery.
Living Well with Limb Loss
The Amputee Coalition works to help amputees and their family live life to the fullest after amputation.
Based in Washington, DC (with team members in Knoxville, Tennessee) and reporting to the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager is an integral member of the Amputee Coalition’s Leadership Team and is responsible for assisting in the development of the strategy of all communications including website, social media, public relations messages and collateral pieces to communicate our mission with consistency. The Communications Manager will ensure that the Amputee Coalition and its National Limb Loss Resource Center are seen as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information for people impacted by limb loss and limb difference.
The Communications Manager will work closely with the Leadership Team and build upon the Amputee Coalition's leadership position in the limb loss community to develop and execute communication strategies that will enable the organization to reach its goals and further the mission of the organization. The key objective of the Communications Manager will be to create deeper awareness and familiarity in the community, key opinion leaders, advocates, volunteers and donors about the Amputee Coalition and its National Limb Loss Resource Center.
- Serve as representative of Communications department and provide project management support for AC stakeholders
- Liaise with program department(s) to help fulfill and triage needs
- Establish metrics to monitor marketing and communications activities and determine the effectiveness and impact of the marketing and communications strategy.
- Assist with the development and management of a master communications plan that promotes the organization’s larger vision and mission
- Lead the team in the development and management of a 12-month communications schedule
- Lead short term initiatives owned by the Communications team but impacting various internal/external stakeholders (i.e., website redesign)
- Provide leadership and assistance in finalizing executable communications plans for program departments
- Collaborate with teams throughout the organization on storytelling efforts, solicitation campaigns, and event promotion
- Create and manage digital and print content for website, email campaigns, social, and other channels
- Coordinate email campaign distribution
- Write and edit content including scripts, press releases, email content, social media content, web content, magazine articles, and advertisements
- Copy edits and proof draft marketing materials ensuring compliance with existing organization policies and guidelines
- Modify design files and resizes art files as needed
- Create and manage communications plans aligned with organizations overarching plan and specific to program/project launches
- Serve as point of contact for consultants assisting with project-based work
- Assists with the production process, including coordinating print jobs with external vendors
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Core Competencies and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field is required
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Successful experience in a supervisory role building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications professionals.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, literature, and other print publications and directories.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications and media relations program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
Additional Qualifications for all Amputee Coalition Employees
- Organized, self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Quality driven
- Integrity, confidentiality, and professionalism
- Credibility, accountability and mission dedication
- Team focus and flexibility
- Outgoing, energetic, and comfortable presenting to various group sizes
- Passion for the Amputee Coalition's mission
Amputee Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for this incredible opportunity, please send a resume and a letter outlining your interest in the role, with salary requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!